Friday, September 5, 2008

The First Days at Makong'onda

Entry via Letter

I have finally moved in to my new village of Makong’onda, and am thrilled to finally be in a place that I can call home for the next two years. I don’t know which factor

of being here I like more: the fact I will be able to start using my skills in the community or the fact that I never have to travel with my (now) 6 bags of luggage ever again!

Upon first glance, Makong’onda appears to be a very small village, many of the homes are made from brick and clay with thatch roofs and sand covers the ground everywhere the eye can see. There is no electricity; thought a near-by home does have solar capability. This means that everything here is very expensive to charge-my cell phone alone costs over 400 Schilling to fully charge at a near-by duka. Like electricity, food is also scarce here – because we are now winding down the days to the rainy season. We have little water and no fruits or vegetables growing here – these items have to be purchased in Newala, the nearest town, which can only be reached by foot and is a two hour climb up a small mountain to reach. The village also has four outlying villages which are each in distance about 2 miles from Makong’onda. In each direction. All of these villages are practically unreachable by car, and the best (and only) way to leave is via car / bus from Newala. The land here is incredibly sandy with the exception of the cashew trees which grow everywhere – the fruit of the cashews, called Bebo, is commonly used here to make Pombe (think cashew moonshine) and I have been forbidden to try it due to my fondness for bowel regularity and my eye-sight.

The house that I am now residing in is beautiful by African standards and I am thrilled to be so lucky in having it! It has 3 bedrooms, a large front sitting room, and a large courtyard with an office, kitchen, and hen house. Peace Corps volunteers are forbidden to keep chickens, so my hen house remains chicken free – until dusk. Then all of the chickens who used to sleep in my hen house return and try to crash my party. I am sure the PC administer a reprimand to these rebel chickens promptly, but until then I will continue to eject them from my home with whatever means necessary (the word “shoo” makes up the bulk of my artillery). Because I am a new volunteer, I am having the bulk of my furniture created here, this includes a drying rack, shelves (for dishes), bookcase, and wardrobe for the few clothes I have now and the many clothes I plan to make later. The water pump is very close to my home, which I am thankful for, I do not want to chote heavy water very far in this hot climate!

The people of Makong’onda have been supremely helpful in making me feel at home. When I arrived my home was filled with people, singing and welcoming me home. My home continues to this day to be filled with people, as many teachers and students are in and out of my home everyday, looking at the random things I have on my table and then asking if they can have them. (If I did give up something every time I was asked, I would be out a computer, camera, 2 flashlights, and shoes). There was a village meeting where the majority of the village was told not to ask me for money (I was approached 5 minutes after the meeting and asked for money). I think it helped a little.

The work I intend to start here begins this weekend, when I will help with the village measles vaccinations. I will also begin teaching biology; soon in to the next semester I have been asked to teach chemistry and physics as well. These subjects are currently not taught here so the students simply do not learn them with the result that they are not able to pass the national exam and continue on with school. I’m hoping to be able to improve these scores, but have been warned by several teachers that the students dislike science (and school in general) so I may have my work cut out for me!


I continue to think about all of you back home often (though admittedly not as often as food….. drool) and I hope to hear from many of you soon! My new address is below – I would love to receive letters and news from all of you!

Keep my village and I in your prayers, and I will report again soon!

Mirinda

Mirinda Gormley
Peace Corps Volunteer
PO Box 440
Newala
Tanzania

No comments: