Friday, September 26, 2008

Animal Life

Entry via Letter

I thought it would be wise to dedicate an entire blog to the flaura and fana here in Tanzania. Starting from the ground up – we’ll start with the insects I hate and progress to the goats that won’t leave me alone. At first I hated the abundance of lizards here in Tanzania. They are everywhere, peeking out from the choo, hitching an un-anticipated ride on my purse, scaling the walls of my bafo waiting to pounce when my eyes are filled with soap, unbearable scaly little beasts. This line of thought discontined when I witnessed an apifiny late last night. As I walked outside in a bent “due to too many teas” position, I noticed 2 large brown shadows running across my floor. At first I thought the perpetrators were crawdads, and wondered how that pet crawdad escaped in the 6th grade managed to sneak its way to Tanzania. It was with a sudden realization (and the larger creature’s sudden attraction to my bare foot) that I jumped to my kitchen stool realizing this was one of the biggest toe-munching scorpions I had ever seen. The hop to the chair was not an act of sheer terror, but rather a reflex when another creature darts across my other bare foot (moral wear shoes when out at night) and battled the scorpion, successfully away in its jaws. This savior-creature was a lizard which (and I only exuberate a little) was the size of my calf…..HUGE!

Moving on to my new pet Pepsi, a scrawny kitten whom was aptly named by the neighbors as my own name is a Pepsi beverage here, the kitten whose only purpose here is to detract the loud rates who seem convinced my roof and food pantry are a nice place to live. Pepsi has gone from being an ungrateful hissing nuisance to an overbearing, over attached, constantly purring machine seeking constant attention and food, *sigh* men. Luckily he seems to have tricked the rats into leaving, a small miracle since the rats here could have most likely consumed him, being twice his size and all.

This past week has been full of new introductions and work, school and village life has been an active hubbub of excitement, My form 2 students took mock English exams (as well as exams in every other subject) which I had the opportunity to grade…actually it was a good opportunity as I had to first correct the answer key and then grand m exams. I find now that my Englist teaching of Biology may not be working because of the lack of English knowledge among my Students, and I’m resolve to start teaching in both English and Kiswahili for full comprehension of my Biology subject. For those who can comprehend the subject – my form 3 students – started an interesting lesson in the importance of the endocrine system, and the importance of taking notes in Mwalimu Mirinda’s class. After a note check, ¼ of the students re-wrote the notes, ¼ were allowed to have their free period (they listened) and ½ came to my house to collect leaves for the compost pile. I hate to discipline my Students, but find that I do enjoy my 3 new fences, compost pile, and sparkling office, I actually don’t know what I’ll do if they start to behave!

The village is now quite alert to my presence as I saunter here and there, greeting everyone and eating bucket loads of Peanuts and Cashews thrust in front of me. Three of the village bibi’s taught me how to crochet this week- which is hard to learn, but a bit more of a challenge if you don’t quite know the language, and the general belief seems to be yelling louder will enhance my learning process. However my hard labor has paid off, and I now strut my stuff, crocheting a hat that would fit comfortably on a thimble, and demonstrating my skill to everyone I greet, all of whom seem or pretend very well, to be impressed. The town meeting was yet another harrowing experience, and has solidified in me that I need never worry about running on Gormley-Trout time (at least 30 minutes later than normal time) ever again. A typical Tanzanian meeting starts 2 hours after it is supposed to, and then lasts up to 3 extra hours depending on subject matter. At this meeting I was called to greet the group and then the headmaster gave a report of my progress teaching, feeling that an embellishment of an event which occurred earlier in the week- me running from a chicken – was necessary for the village to comprehend as it related to my teaching in no way at all. I wasn’t afraid of said chicken, I merely stated it was angry which I can confirm; it angrily squawked and pecked at my ankles as I trotted the opposite direction at a brisk pace. Moral – don’t attempt to kick chickens and if kicking necessary, do so in privacy of ones own home.

These are the weekly antics in Makong’onda. My health and peer educating groups will begin next week, so I hope to update you on their progress in the coming blogs! I hope you are all having a safe and scary October, lots of Love from Tanzania.

Mirinda

No comments: