Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tanzania Tidbits

So, I've been living my blog vicariously through my father for the past 7 weeks, as I have had no access to internet in my village (in fact, my village doesn't even sell toilet paper), so a special thanks to him.

For this past week, I have been living in a smaller village (and also harder to get to village) of L'angata, where I have been shadowing an education volunteer for the past week in the hopes to learn of the wisdoms of peace corps from his wise experience. Unfortunatly for myself and the other two volunteers who shadowed with my, Eathan had a TV and DVD player, so whereas I really did enjoy visiting his village, I also enjoyed watching almost an entire season of Heros, followed by a lot of Brad Pitt movies.

Actually, we did learn a little in Eathans village. This village is in the Kilomanjaro region of Tanzania, whereas this is usually a lush environment with lots of vegtables and a cool mountain breeze, God seems to have forgotton about L'angata, and thus all that is here is dirt, thorns, and TONS of donkeys. I really can't impress just how many donkeys there are in L'angata, and though they cannot be used for anything but hauling heavy objects (apparently its hard to farm in bedrock in an area where rain doesn't exist) they are well respected members of the community, as any given day you see a donkey from your back yard to inside the school buildings.

This week I will finally find out where my site is, my site being the place where I will live for the next two years. Once I get this information, an new address and of course stories describing where I will live will quickly follow, as well as the TONS of pictures that I have taken while in Tanzania but have been unable to share. I would like to point out, that I have recieved 7 letters and have re-read them each at least 10 times. For those of you who have written, spot on - I will re-write you as soon as I find a post office where the workers decided to show up for the day. For those of you who haven't written...seriously? Write me letters! I like being entertained by American news...and I really do miss being an intricate part of everyones life!

I need to post this before the internet crashes again...for more, see new post 2...

No comments: