Monday, November 3, 2008

Trail Blazing

Entry via Letter

Today was the first meeting of the newest NGO (and first) in Makong’onda village. At first, I was incredibly skeptical of helping this group, when they admitted to me one of their only aims was to have me help sell cashew nuts n America. After the introduction of members and my firm “no” response, we moved right into what we could do to help the Malaria problem in the community. We discussed ways to raise money to buy mosquito nets, ways to educate the community, ways to help people to educate and help their children; we even discussed how the peer educators themselves could help! I left the meeting with 10 new dedicated counterparts, ready to help in the community and help with any thing I should need in Makong’onda, the prospect of starting a new group is extremely exciting, but will prove to be a lot of work I’m sure – I hope to have great news and exiting updates for my next round of entries!

No comments: